The winter has finally arrived. For some families this time of year is welcomed and for others it can be dreadful. As for my family, we welcome it with open arms. It gives us a chance to slow down and relax on a Saturday afternoon. If you know me, you know that I love Netflix. There is nothing better than enjoying a good movie with my family, making popcorn and sipping hot chocolate. This has been a family tradition for us since my kids were younger. I think we had the opportunity to view every age appropriate tv show and movie. Comedies, dramas and educational shows/movies. I’m excited to share with our readers educational tv shows for children that have learning challenges and for the families that support them. Enjoy!!
First, I want start with my favorite web-site about movies, tv shows, books and so much more, www.commonsensemedia.org. This site provides reviews on movies from parents and kids, tips for parents on watching age appropriate movies, tv shows, books and video games.
Oldies but goodies:
- Sesame Street and Electric Company
- Dora the Explorer for ages 2-5
- Sid the Science Kid for ages 3-6
- Where on Earth Is Carmen Sandiego? For ages 7 and up
- Hank Zipzer for ages 7 and up
- Brainchild for ages 8 and up
- How Stuff Works for ages 8 and up
- Myth Busters for ages 9 and up
- MasterChef Junior for ages 10 and up
- Being You for ages 12 and up
Another thing I want to mention is that certain tv shows can promote learning and social skills for children that may have a hard time reading social cues, understanding sarcasm and reading a room. I suggest sitting with your child and making the learning experience more interactive. While watching you may want to discuss with them how to read facial expressions and explain what each situation means. Some questions you can ask are:
- How do you think the character is feeling?
- Why do you think the character did that
- Was that a nice thing to do? Why or Why not?
- DO you think that is an example of a good friend?
- What makes a good friend?
- How do you think that character was helpful or not helpful? What would you have done?
- Was the character inviting?
Photo from: Pexels